Sessional Order (551) - Petitions signed by 10,000 or more persons (adopted 14 February 2012)
PETITIONS SIGNED BY 10,000 OR MORE PERSONS
(Adopted 14 February 2012)
That during the current session, unless otherwise ordered, the following sessional order be adopted:
(1) The subject matter of every petition received by the House and certified by a Member and announced by the Speaker as having been signed by 10,000 or more persons, shall be automatically set down as an Order of the Day for discussion on a future day.
(2) The Order of the Day shall take place at 4.30 p.m. on the Thursday of the next sitting week.
(3) Any further petitions received before the first Order of the Day is disposed of shall be set down on succeeding Thursdays in the order in which they are presented.
(4) The following time limits shall apply:
First speaker - 5 minutes
(5) If a Member does not seek the call when the Order of the Day is called on, the Order of the Day will lapse.
Member next speaking - 5 minutes
Two other Members - 3 minutes each
Total - 16 minutes
(6) The Order of the Day cannot be amended and at the conclusion of the discussion no question shall be put.
« Return to Sessional Orders index